Jump to Navigation

Grandparents' Rights

Protecting the Rights of Grandparents in Family Law Matters

If you are a grandparent and have concerns about the well-being of your grandchildren, or if the parents of your grandchild have divorced and you no longer have access to them, you may have legal rights. An experienced attorney can help you understand your options and can help you take the steps to protect the interests of your grandchildren.

At the law office of Jason L. Jansma, PLC, we provide experienced legal counsel to grandparents throughout the greater Grand Rapids area in western Michigan. We take a client-focused approach, placing a priority on reliability, responsiveness and respect. Though we will always help you look for peaceful ways to resolve your disputes, Attorney Jansma is a former prosecutor who knows how to take a tough stance when important issues are at stake.

We offer a free initial consultation to all new clients. To set up an appointment, contact our office or call us at 877-378-5541.

Experienced Grandparents' Rights Lawyer

In Michigan, grandparents do not have absolute rights to parenting time with grandchildren of divorce. If one of the parents is deceased, a grandparent may file to obtain grandparenting time. In addition, if parental rights have been terminated for any reason, a grandparent may seek to either legally adopt a grandchild or become the child's legal guardian.

At our office, we will handle all matters related to adoptions, guardianships or requests for grandparenting time. We will prepare and file all necessary documentation to complete the process and will act as your advocate in all hearings or proceedings.

The most important thing for grandparents to understand is that you do have options when parents are out of the picture. You can take legal action if any of the following situations exists:

  • Your grandchildren are not being properly cared for
  • Your grandchildren are being neglected or abused (if you know this is happening, you should report it to Child Protective Services)
  • Your grandchildren are being exposed to illegal activity, such as drug use or gambling

In very limited circumstances, we can also help you seek absolute rights to parenting time.

Contact Attorney Jason L. Jansma

To schedule a free initial consultation, contact us or call us at 877-378-5541. We are available for appointments during regular business hours, and evenings and weekends upon request. We accept major credit cards. Some services may be billed as a flat fee.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Jason L. Jansma PLC
40 Pearl Street
Suite 922

Grand Rapids, MI 49503

Phone: 616-581-7406 (Free Office Consultation)
Toll Free: 877-378-5541
Fax: 616-233-9166
Grand Rapids Law Office

Jason L. Jansma PLC
1300 W Centre Ave
Portage, MI 49024

Phone: 616-581-7406 (Free Office Consultation)
Toll Free: 877-378-5541
Fax: 616-233-9166
Portage Law Office