Jump to Navigation

Child Custody Modifications

Protecting the Rights Individuals in the Greater Grand Rapids Area

If your divorce is final, but your circumstances have changed, your child custody agreement may no longer be in the best interests of your children or to your benefit. If you have a new job with new hours, or need to relocate for work, or if you are concerned about alcohol, drugs or domestic violence in proximity to your children, you want an experienced lawyer to help you modify the existing divorce judgment to protect your kids.

At the office of attorney Jason L. Jansma, we provide comprehensive counsel to individuals throughout the greater Grand Rapids area in western Michigan, including people seeking or defending against requests for child custody modifications. Though we will work with you to find peaceful ways to resolve your differences, Attorney Jansma is a former prosecutor who is willing to fight for you when important issues are at stake.

We have represented parties on all sides of a child custody dispute and know what to anticipate and how to help you work toward a result that protects the interests of your children. For a free initial consultation, contact our office or call us at 877-378-5541.

Our Child Custody Modification Practice

We represent custodial or non-custodial parents in proceedings to modify the terms of an existing child custody order, including requests to change visitation schedules. We will assist you with a modification request for any reason, including situations where:

  • Your ex-spouse is being unreasonable regarding access to your children or the return of your children after visitation
  • Visitation or parenting time is being withheld or extended without agreement
  • Your child is being exposed to unhealthy situations when with the other parent, including drug or alcohol abuse, or domestic violence
  • A change in circumstances, including the health or employment requirements of one of the parents, necessitates a change in custody and/or visitation

At our office, we have handle many child custody modification proceedings. We understand the twelve-factor test the court uses to determine whether custody should be modified. We know that circumstances can change quickly and that modification proceedings require us to pay close attention and act quickly to protect your interests. We take pride in being accessible and available whenever you need assistance.

Relocation in Challenging Economic Times

Because Michigan's current economic climate is poor, we are working with many families in situations where one parent seeks to move out of the state for work. If you or an ex-spouse want to move more than 100 miles from where your current legal residence is, you must file a request with the court and get approval to relocate.

Contact the Law Office of Jason L. Jansma, PLC

We offer a free initial consultation to all clients. To schedule an appointment, contact us online or call us at 877-378-5541. Evening and weekend meetings can be arranged upon request. We are conveniently located across the street from the Kent County courthouse. All major credit cards are accepted.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Jason L. Jansma PLC
40 Pearl Street
Suite 922

Grand Rapids, MI 49503

Phone: 616-581-7406 (Free Office Consultation)
Toll Free: 877-378-5541
Fax: 616-233-9166
Grand Rapids Law Office

Jason L. Jansma PLC
1300 W Centre Ave
Portage, MI 49024

Phone: 616-581-7406 (Free Office Consultation)
Toll Free: 877-378-5541
Fax: 616-233-9166
Portage Law Office